Welcome to our instructions on how-to-apply to our GRK 2046 program in the 2nd call! Please take your time to read them carefully in order to make sure you submit a complete application.
You can only apply by using the application platform of the DRS:
The call is open until December 28, 2020, 23:59, only. Project start will be April 1, 2021.
Note: You have to first register and start a profile. This will make it possible for you to go for a coffee and come back next day to complete your application, because the application is safed in your profile.
Note: When you register you were ask for "Affiliation". In case you are not affiliated to any institution (you don't have to for an application) choose "Other Institution" in the drop-down menu. Two new "Please specify..." boxes open. Type in here: "n/a" or "not affiliated". Then, go on with registering.
Please do not send any other type of application by post or e-mail as they will be rejected.
- The application form must be completed in English only. Please make sure that all your personal details including your e-mail address and postal mail address are up to date, as we will be using them to communicate with you throughout the whole application process!
- You will find a section called "External Reviewers". This is for you to provide us with the contact details of two referees that support your application. This is an important part of your application! We strongly advise you to pick your referees carefully and inform them about their role BEFORE you apply. Please note: On the same day you submit your application, we will send an e-mail (with sending e-mail address: email@example.com) to your referees who will download their letter of reference directly to our application platform, please don’t upload letters of reference yourself! Please consider that your referees will only have time to submit their reference letters until, December 30, 2020, 23.59!
- Depending on your interest, you may choose 1 or 2 or 3 projects as your favorite(s). This means you can apply in 1 application for up to three projects, but of course, you don't have to. You can cross only 1, that's fine as well. To choose, please refer to the project descriptions. Please reason your choice (why you are interested in this / these project(s) and give us your motivation for your choice in the "Research Interest" section!
- The field "Research Interests" is one of the most critical parts of your application! You should clearly communicate why you are an ideal candidate for GRK 2046. Importantly, you have to provide specific and meaningful insight into why you have made the choices regarding your research group preferences. Please comment also on your plans for your professional future. We would like to emphasize again that here it is very important to be specific, meaningful and concise!
- We recommend to have the following things ready for your application:
√ CV (PDF-file)
√ Letter of motivation (PDF-file) [what was the motivation of your previous steps in education / science, why did you follow the previous way, what motivates you to be a scientist, why do want to do a PhD track and follow a scientist career etc.]
√ College/university career (including certificates, abstracts of your thesis etc.)
√ High school career (including certificate)
√ Language proficiency (i.a. including English test certificate)
√ i.a. working experiences (including company and publication list)
√ Names/address of two external reviewers for letters of reference
- Please note: You can upload any material / certificates as PDF-file only!
Incidentally, the application period is also a busy time for us. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that we are able to answer your questions promptly or help you solving problems immediately. We would also like to stress that because of the large number of applications we get, we cannot answer any requests on the status of your application. We will do our best to keep you up to date on the progress of the application process on our web page.
For any question, please consult our FAQ in first line!