Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Insurance coverage during internships

Students at general universities or universities of applied sciences complete an internship prescribed in the study or examination regulations either before, during or after completing their studies. Non-prescribed internships that are completed in connection with the course of study for reasons of expediency are also conceivable.

In the case of university or university of applied sciences internships, the university/university of applied sciences has no direct influence on the way in which the internship is carried out or on the course of the internship. During the internship, the students integrate themselves into the work process and therefore fulfill the requirements for dependent employees in accordance with § 2 Para. 1 No. 1 of the German Social Code (SGB) VII. It is irrelevant for the accident insurance assessment of the internships whether they are mandatory in the study or examination regulations or are voluntary. The accident insurance institution responsible for the internship company is responsible (§ 133 Para. 1 SGB VII). If a practical activity must/will be completed abroad in connection with studies or a doctorate, there is generally no longer any accident insurance cover, unless the social insurance law of the host country also provides entitlement to benefits for such activities.

In summary: If the internship takes place directly in the department, you are insured against accidents via the university. If the internship takes place outside the department, you must be insured through the internship company. You must register this with the relevant accident insurance provider.