By the beginning of the twentieth century the veterinary library of Berlin ranked as one of the largest worldwide of its kind. World War II altered this situation dramatically: In 1950 Beutner (1), director of the veterinary library until 1944, described significant losses suffered as a result of the war amounting to a total of 37.000 volumes. Until 1989 these losses were ascribed to bomb hits to the main building in Luisenstrasse, at that time the location of the library. After unification of Germany in 1989 it became known that in 1945 the main part of the veterinary library, such as important works of the beginnings of veterinary medicine, was confiscated by Russian troops where it remains down to the present.
Handwritten (above) and the following specified ownership marks were used:
(1) Beutner, K.: Losses of veterinary literature in German libraries. Deutsche Tierärztliche Wochenschrift 57 (1950), 245-246
(2) Brumme, M. F.; Bornemann, R.:„Spoils of war“ – the losses of the veterinary library Berlin in the year 1945. Berliner Münchener Tierärztliche Wochenschrift 109 (1996), 184-189
(3) Catalog of the Library of the Royal Veterinary School Berlin: holdings as of October 1912. - Magdeburg : Zum Gutenberg Dr.), 1913. - XI, 1038 S Catalog of the Library of the Royal Veterinary School Berlin: holdings as of October 1912. - Magdeburg : Zum Gutenberg Dr.), 1913. - XI, 1038 S